Resolution on Nicaragua
Resolution expressing concern and international solidarity with the protests by Nicaraguan civic society and condemning the use of disproportionate police and military violence against ongoing demonstrations and indscriminate cases of death, disappearance and detention
The Centrist Democrat International (IDC-CDI), well aware of the Nicaraguan people’s despair about the continuous breaches by the government of Nicaragua against legal rights, and, more specifically, the very constitutional order, and, observing the legitimate protests and demonstrations led by university students about the dramatic situation currently affecting Nicaragua, which has already resulted in the death of some thirty persons and hundreds of casualties and disappeared persons in recent days, condemns and sees with grave preoccupation the denunciation of serious abuses committed against persons who have been detained, and the violent repression against demonstrators by means of disproportionate and excessive use of police and military force.
- 1. DEPLORES: the loss of at least some thirty lives as a result of severe reprisals of the government led by Daniel Ortega;1. DEPLORES: the loss of at least some thirty lives as a result of severe reprisals of the government led by Daniel Ortega;
- 2. CONVEYS its condolences to the family members of the victims and to the entire people of Nicaragua;
- 3. CALLS ON the International Penal Court (IPC), to investigate these events urgently;
- 4. DEMONSTRATES its preoccupation about all forms of repression against the will of the Nicaraguan people, including the authoritarian excesses that the regime of Daniel Ortega has been embarked on for several years;
- 5. DEMANDS that the government of President Ortega put an end to these abuses and to stop negating the freedom of expression and sovereignty of the people, and even more its human, political and civil rights;
- 6. CALLS ON the International Community to set up a common force which demands : 1. The cessation of all hostile actions by the government; 2. Promotes a transparent way to democratic and constitutional guarantees; 3. Prepares and promotes a range of sanctions against the government; 4. Promotes the establishment of a commission to mediate between the opposing sides; 5. Promotes the establishment of a group of on-the-spot international observers; 6. If necessary, to issue a denunciation, before the International Penal Court, regarding acts against humanity perpetrated by President Ortega and his collaborators;
- 7. CALLS ON the government of Nicaragua to launch and appeal to toward the formulation of a Pact on Social Society, which is both urgent and transparent;
- 8. URGES to give a voice to the various democratic organizations, the Confederation of Entrepreneurs and the Church;
- 9. CALLS ON the European institutions and, specifically, the High Representative of the EU for External and Security Affairs, Mrs. Federica Mogherini, to undertake actions toward prompting the regime of Ortega to reestablish order and put an end to violence, to re-institute democracy, civil liberties and the rule of law.