Joint Statement on the Situation in Belarus: Respect the vote of the people, stop police violence and guarantee freedom of speech and assembly
The International Democrat Union IDU, the Centrist Democrat International IDC-CDI, the
European People’s Party EPP and the European Conservatives and Reformists Party ECR are
very concerned about latest developments in Belarus and the conduct of the August 9th, 2020
presidential election, which was not free and fair.
The world has witnessed a bold electoral fraud by the Lukashenko regime and the obstruction
of the election process right from its beginning. We have witnessed severe restrictions on
ballot access for candidates, prohibition of local independent observers at polling stations,
intimidation tactics against opposition candidates, and the detentions of peaceful protesters
In Belarus, fundamental human rights have been at stake for a very long time. But the time to
forge elections results in favour of a small elite is over.
Today, the Belarusian people expect their votes to be counted accurately, democratic
principles and human rights to be respected, freedom and rule of law to be guaranteed and
their future to be determined in an independent and sovereign way.
Together as the IDU, IDC-CDI, EPP and ECR, we support the aspirations of the Belarusian
people for a prosperous future in freedom and democracy.
Therefore, we jointly
• stand with Svetlana Tikhanovskaya and all oppositions candidates whose election
success was stolen by the Lukashenko regime;
• recognise the Coordination Council, initiated by Svetlana Tikhanovskaya, as a
legitimate representative of Belarussian people in demanding for free and fair
• call for new presidential elections in accordance with international standards and
under international observation at the earliest occasion;
• demand the security forces of Belarus refrain from violence against its own people; to
hold those responsible for violence and torture to account and to release all abducted
persons and political prisoners;
• call on the EU to stop financial assistance to the illegitimate regime of Lukashenko;
• demand a guarantee of security and safety of all people in Belarus;
• demand respect of freedom of speech and freedom of assembly;
• call on our members, partners and national governments, as well as on the EU
leadership, to support the people of Belarus in their pursuit of freedom, democracy
and independence; and,
• urge Russia to respect the national sovereignty of Belarus and to refrain from any
attempt to act against the interests of the people of Belarus.
You can find further information on the websites of the International Democrat Union
www.idu.org, the Centrist Democrat International www.idc-cdi.com, the European People’s
Party www.epp.eu and the European Conservatives and Reformists www.ecrparty.eu